Thursday, January 8, 2009

Getting Ready!

3 more days... and I'm getting anxious (and excited, of course). I've spent the night packing basically every piece of clothing I've bought over the last 5 years and even digged into my mom's 80s wardrobe. The trip has been in the making since last April and finalized in October but somehow I know I'll be running around doing last minute errands on Sunday morning. This will probably be my last post (and first!) in the states. My flight leaves at 2pm on Sunday from O'Hare and I arrive in Bilbao at noon on Monday with a 5 hour layover in Germany (hey, at least I get a passport stamp). Marisol and Inigo, here I come!*


Farewell Urbana, I'll miss you and keep in touch.


*Marisol= hostmom Inigo= host brother

17 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about your blog. I just became your follower :) I am so proud of what you are doing. So what did you find in Jackie's closet from the 80's? Jelly shoes? She used to have quite the collection. :) I love you and can't wait to hear all that you are doing in Spain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Bilbao, Spain Marissa!!!! Hope your flights were great and we are anxiously awaiting your first post from Spain!! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy to talk with you yesterday by Skye for 27 minutes FREE!!!! As Marissa's first post said "Skype users unite!!!!" that is so true!!! It is great to talk via the computer - Marissa sounded like she was sitting right here on my couch talking to me!! Our dog Jake was a bit confused. He kept looking around for her....wow as I was writing this.....Guess Who Called!!!!! I will report for all for now that Marissa is doing great!!! She is sending me a video at this minute so I will post this and go to email....we are still on the phone...technology is amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have talked too many family members and friends that are a bit overwhelmed by all of this technology and wanting to wish you Marissa a GREAT TIME AND would like to post but still can't figure out how to do it!!!! I am trying to help with my very limited knowledge of such things.....my New Years resolution was to become more savvy with technology and thank you Marissa - at the 14th day of January 2009 - I have learned more in 2 days than I would have learned in a lifetime if you would not have crossed the Atlantic!!! I am glad that your host family situation is GREAT and your home fantastic!!!

    This is a time that you will always remember in your life as one of the best and we are all so happy and proud of you!!! You my dear Marissa will show us all Spain through your eyes and we will be greateful for all that we learn from you. I love you and your videos were GREAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK - I AM STILL TRYING TO LEARN.... I thought I would get to preview before my post....but no...so I could not see that grateful was spelled wrong. Please all of you new posters to the blog - do not be intimidated...well I hope that is spelled correctly as there is no spell check.... this is just all fun for a great learning experience for Marissa and US NEW BLOGGERS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marissa,

    As I look out my front window, your house is covered with snow. Tonight it will go below zero. You're not missing anything as far as weather goes. Your Mom forwarded the the flip videos to us. More of those please. They were great. Don't be afraid to narrate what you're filming. We feel like we're traveling along with you. How old is the university you will be attending? Sounds like your host family is very nice. No doubt you will have favorite Spanish recipes when you return. Have fun and keep the videos coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marissa,
    I'm not sure exactly how this works, so I'll try to post this before I write anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O.K., I got registered, so now I can officially comment!!! I am so excited about your time in Spain. It's truly an experience of a lifetime. I'm so glad you are having the opportunity to do this. Enjoy every minute of your time. It will pass quicker than you think. I saw where your mom got videos via e-mail. I'll have to see if she can pass those on. You've got to start posting soon to let us folks that aren't "Skype" users know what's going on with you over there. I'll be checking everyday. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Marissa. I see you made it to Spain safely. I have pieced together that you will be going to school while are there. Is this through the U of I, or are you attending a university there? I'm impressed your over there. Sounds intimidating, but I bet it will be a great experience.

    I have added your blog to my favorites so I can check up regularly. I do have Skype, only at home though, and I am at work during the day. Skype is cool. I had a friend who moved to China last year, and we were able to talk for free, although the time difference was something of a challenge. As Jackie said, it did sound like she was right there in the room with us. Thinking of you, best wishes, Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marissa Glad things are going so well Im trying to set up a site Love Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to finally get on the blog its only taken 4 days and many phone calls to your Mom it takes us older folks longer to handle all this technology. It is 35 below zero with the wind chill here in Chicago no school for 2 days so Elyse missed 3 finals so she has to take next week which is such a drag!!! We are so excited for you enjoy every moment what memories you'll have. Hi to all fellow bloggers stay warm!!! Love Patti

    ReplyDelete
  12. HELLO TO ALL FELLOW BLOGGERS!!!

    I have had an email from Marissa today!!

    It is already the 17th in Spain.

    She will post this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marissa!!! Hope that you are enjoying it in SPAIN!!! You have inspired me. As I told you the other night on the phone I had been thinking about starting a blog and now you have officially inspired me. Hope you don't mind I added you as a blog I read on mine.

    http://www.ourlifetranscribed.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. YEAH BEVERLY!!! I am so excited to read your blog and keep up with you, Matt, Jackson and Gavin!!!! And of course, Amanda, Matt, Julia and Maria!!! Between Marissa and all of you I have lots to learn and most importantly ENJOY!!!! I am so proud of all of you!!! A great way to keep in touch and share your experiences and life from afar!!! I will see you all on the Blog!!! Keep the writings, pictures, videos and music coming!!! And to Matt in Champaign - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! And to Brooke!!!! We want to see you and Ronnie and Evan!!! And Dawn!!!! Join in - we want to hear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Marissa,

    Your Mom, Judy and I just finished watching Barack Obama become the 44th President of the United states. I was wondering if you got the chance to watch it, and what the reaction from the locals might be? Weather still frigid here. Hope it's warmer where you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey you!! I'm very sad that I didn't get to say goodbye to you before you left! I called a few times, but as I am familiar with your irresponsability with phones, I wasn't shocked when I couldn't get ahold of you. :) Be safe out there! And keep in touch...I'll miss you! (yes, future tense, because I don't miss you yet. HA!)
    love you love you!!!
    ~the other marisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Marissa,

    Hello other Marisa - I am glad you are back here and doing well!!!! Yes....we are still awaiting Marissa to respond on her blog!!! I have heard from her by Skype and email and she is doing great!!! Well her Blog be like her phone messages??? We all may be awaiting a long time !!!

    MAYBE????? We want to hear from Marissa in Spain!!!! Post soon Marissa in Spain!!! We are all awaiting your appearance on your Blog!!!

    ReplyDelete